WANTED – LOVABLE BO* SEEKS EXPERIENCED MB* WILLING TO COMMIT, READY TO LISTEN, AND CAPABLE OF PRODUCING REAL RESULTS FOR THE MONEY. MUST BE PROFICIENT IN MEDIA SPEAK AND SCHMOOZING SALES REPS. WOULDN’T HURT TO ENJOY COOKING, SPENCER TRACY MOVIES, AND LONG WALKS ON THE BEACH.
If only finding the right media buyer were as simple as placing a personal ad. But if you’re like most of my clients, when you begin the search, you’re not only unclear about what you want, you’re unsure of what you need.
In fact, the only reason you’re willing to play Media Buyer Connection at all is because, well, the advertising you’ve placed on your own has been expensive and a waste of time.
So let me put on my Yenta hat and list some of the must-have qualities of any good media buyer.
1) Overall Business Savvy – you know, the typical organization, communication, and leadership skills necessary in any professional.
2) Experience – even the nicest network sales reps feed on new blood, because their commission trumps all other concerns, especially for your well-being. And you can’t really blame them, even sharks have to eat.
3) Connections – absolutely essential because the rates they secure will depend on the connections they’ve developed over time.
4) Foresight – to get the best rates and secure the right spots, buys should be placed a year in advance. It goes without saying that a buyer who sends you memos dated 2006 might not be right for you.
5) Compulsive – tried to think of a more flattering term, but trust me, you want compulsive, even obsessive compulsive, when it comes to the person who’s tracking your advertising flow. A placed the buy. Has artwork been submitted for purchased spots? Does the bill correspond with the agreed upon price (remember the sharks)? Is the light working on your board? These things are important because you deserve to get what you paid for.
Will finding the right media buyer be painful? Probably. You might have to date around a bit before you finding Media Buyer Right. But be picky, be direct, and fate will have its way.
*BO – Business Owner
*MB – Media Buyer
Jaime Smith – Media Buyer
The Russo Group